Why should there be controversy surrounding Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake?
For centuries choreographers and audiences alike have cherished the tradition of the female swan. At the time of composing his famous score, Tchaikovsky himself was concurrent of the “idea of the swan as a symbol of womanhood in its purest”. (BalletMet 2006) It was universally acknowledged that “supernatural female creatures” such as swans enjoyed “great popularity” as “they appealed to the contemporary taste for idealised, fantasised womanhood”.
Worth noting here is the phrase “contemporary taste”. If Swan Lake’s success is owed to its relevance within society, then surely one cannot fault Bourne for re-establishing its significance more than a century later. In an online review, Laura Porter of About.com refers to Bourne’s interpretation as having “turned tradition upside down”. To many critics this has been translated as “unthinkable” (Johnson 1997) and disrespectful to Petipa/Ivanov’s original version. On the other hand, Judith Mackrell of The Guardian describes Bourne’s adaptation as “a classic”, a term used to label a work “considered to be of the highest rank or excellence, especially one of enduring significance” (thefreedictionary.com 2009). Whilst one must admire the continuing appeal of a ballet created in 1877, there is no shame in embracing Bourne’s revised perspective on Swan Lake's central issues.
In many respects Bourne stays true to the traditional Swan Lake, using the same celebrated score and exploring the same key themes of individuation, self realisation and love. Indeed, his plot is relatively in keeping with the original too. The Prince still falls in love with a swan, Bourne simply chooses to transfer it to a contemporary setting whereby the swan is also male. In doing this, a significant element of our present-day society is drawn upon to give the plot’s themes even more resonance. David Roberts of Theatre Reviews Limited describes the male corps de ballet of swans as “the perfect medium for the Prince to discover and celebrate his sexuality. And although the Prince is unashamedly gay, Swan Lake is universal in its appeal and accessible to all persons who know what it means to be misunderstood, confused about sexuality and love, and long for intimacy and relationship”. Roberts also explains that “the Prince's Swan fantasy allows the character and the audience to experience at the deepest levels the issues of becoming a distinct, separate individual and the risks involved in ‘leaving the flock’." The key phrase here is “deepest levels”. By exploring the same issues as the original version, but through the more contemporary theme of a gay relationship, Bourne is strengthening their impact with the audiences of today.
One further point worth considering is the artistic benefit of casting male dancers as swans. Bourne states that "The idea of a male swan makes complete sense to [him]. The strength, the beauty, the enormous wingspan of these creatures suggests to the musculature of a male dancer more readily than a ballerina in her white tutu”. Through a female corps de ballet choreographers have portrayed swans as graceful and fragile; their aggressive temperament and physical strength had previously been overlooked. In addition, Bourne’s Swan Lake also appeals to the “new breed of muscular, masculinised dance” (Johnson 1997) found in productions such as Tap Dogs, Lord of the Dance and STOMP!. Bourne is attentive to this emerging trend, declaring that “the heroes of dance are suddenly becoming males again.''
In short, Bourne has not only created an adaptation of Swan Lake with remarkable artistic credibility, but one that fortifies the story's key themes and values for a contemporary audience. If ballet is to retain its popularity throughout the twenty first century, present-day choreographers, like Bourne, should be supported in their efforts to maintain the relevance of classics such as Swan Lake.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Laura i have really enjoyed reading your pieces on Swan Lake as it is an exceptional ballet.
ReplyDeleteI like that you have chose to do it on the "modern day" version choreographed by Bourne. He took a risk and followed his beliefs and you have presented this by writing about the use of male dancers representing swans. I like the argument between the sexes of the swans, should they be predominantly female as swans are seen as graceful or male because swans are known for their great strength. Does he mean to say that female ballet dancers cannot be graceful and strong, and male dancers are not graceful or portray grace? This has intrigued me and find myself wondering what a mixed sex corps de ballet of swans would achieve?!
I think that Bourne has caused controversy as he has tried something new and this is always going to upset someone as its change and change doesn’t always go down well. It would be like someone saying a Plie is now going to be called Sock! I’m sure you understand where I am coming from.
He has modernised it, as you say ballet has to try to retain its popularity, for instance the Nutcracker was modernised and i didn't like it at first because i felt that the Christmas feeling i got wasn't there anymore. I found it a little over the top and far too unusual, however after watching it again i learned to like it, I like the modern take on it, the brightness of the unusual costumes draws you in and you don't know what to expect so it becomes exciting to watch all over again.
I like the topic you have chose and found it interesting to read and feel that you have written it well with a good use of sources, however did you access them all from the internet?
Otherwise i think that this is very good and you have answered the question. Well done.
I think a mixed sex corps de ballet of swans would be a brilliant idea Abbi! As I was writing this piece I had contemplated the point that you raise: can women only portray the graceful side to swans, and can men only encapture their strength? Although I don't want to stereotype, I think it is fair to say that each sex brings a different element to the role of a swan, which is only natural as male and female dancers don't have the same physiques. I therefore find your idea of a mixed-sex corps de ballet fascinating. It would be the closest a choreographer could come to portraying both the aggression and grace of these creatures simultaneously. Given the success of Bourne's all-male production and the enduring popularity of the traditional female version, I think you should copywright that idea before someone else catches on!
ReplyDeleteWith regard to your other comments, I would be interested to know which production of the Nutcracker you are refering to. It sounds as though it may be the Hampson/Scarfe version. I actually performed in it as a student a few years ago and remember being very taken aback by the garish sets and costumes. I recall enjoying Hampson's choreography, but felt that Scarfe's designs took the production too far from the traditional Christmas favourite that The Nutcracker is expected to be. I agree that his designs make the ballet more exciting, especially for those who have seen it on many occasions, but I believe that with The Nutcracker there comes a certain expectation of it being a classic Christmas tale. After all, as Tasha Massie has stated in her essay it is often a company's biggest audience pleaser, indicating that its format does not need to be altered too much.
I realise that the points I have made can easily be applied to Swan Lake too, somewhat contraditing my support of Bourne's modern interpretation. A vital difference, however, is that Bourne has his own company on which he creates his ballets, and it is a company that is known for it's modern, theatrical style. The audience therefore expects a unique staging of the production that they are buying tickets for. The Hampson/Scarfe Nutcracker production, however, was performed by English National Ballet, a company that is celebrated for bringing classic works to audiences across the UK. Customers booking tickets for their annual trip to the ballet may not be quite so welcoming of such an unconventional version.
Thank you for raising these interesting points Abbi, and also for questioning where I sourced my quotations. Most were from the internet, although the quotations from Bourne himself are from the Swan Lake programme. I perhaps need to make this clearer in my text, but I am unsure whether to include all of the required information within my essay, or to reference my sources briefly and then write a detailed bibliography. What would you recommend? I do feel that adding too much bracketed information may interrupt the flow of the essay.
Laura
Hi Laura,
ReplyDeleteI found this piece really interesting. I love Bourne's Swan Lake, and although I still think nothing can beat the original choreography, if you take Bourne's version for what it is, it really is fantastic :o)
I presume this is your academic style piece, and I feel all right boxes are ticked, but perhaps the last sentence is a little too much of a personal opinion to end the essay on? I think it maybe just the way "should be" is used, as it feels like a direct command to the reader more than a statement. If you used maybe "will need more support..." it is more indirect, and still leaves the reader to consider the statement for themselves?
Thanks for a really interesting read!
Thank you for your comments Grace.
ReplyDeleteI understand your point about my final sentence. I hadn't considered that, although an academic piece of writing should deliver a concept or opinion, the reader is still entitled to their own thoughts on the matter. In my second draft I will alter the last paragraph to make it more neutral, as you have suggested.
Laura
Hi Laura
ReplyDeleteYou've got a really interesting piece on Swan Lake here and have touched upon a key issue that has surrounded this production since it's arrival.
Considering that this is your academic piece of writing there seems to be a good number of sources to present either side of the controversy as well as backing up your own opinons. As for the quotations, I think that where you haven't bracketed the source you have named the person before it i.e 'Bourne' or 'Roberts', so it is clear enough to the reader who the quotation is from. I understand Abbi's point though, maybe after the first 'Bourne' quotation you could put in brackets 'from the Swan Lake programme', and from thereon the reader can assume that all quotations from him are from the same source unless mentioned otherwise.
I've just got some other small things I thought i might add. In relation to which production of the Nutcracker Abbi was referring to, I immediately assumed it to be Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker, which as well as Hampson's also has garish costumes and set (though this could be completely wrong so confirmation from Abbi would be great!)
The other point that I was interested in was that you say the prince is 'unashamedly gay'. It has been a while since I saw this production but although I do remember a very close relationship between the two main male characters, I took it that the swan was still a swan whether represented by a female or male dancer, so is it that the prince is gay or that he is fascinated and falls in love with a beautiful creature? I understand from the male pas de deuxs that there is a suggestion of homosexuality, but I wonder if it was Bourne's intention to make the Prince a gay character? You are probably much more researched on this than me so if you know anything about it I'd be interested to find out.
Thanks for this piece Laura, I hope to get on to the next two soon. I often read your writing in admiration so looking forward to the rest!
Thank you for your comments, Laura.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you have highlighted the description of the Prince being "unashamedly gay", as it is a statement that I too questioned. (They are not my words; they form part of David Roberts' quotation.) Like you, I had viewed the Prince's love for the swan as a fascination with its beauty, rather than just a representation of a homosexual relationship.
I do think that it is up to each individual to decide what the relationship symbolises. In the Swan Lake programme, Bourne writes that he tries to "have stories and pieces that are appreciated on many levels". This links to my point about ballet needing to resonate with today's society. Bourne seems to have been successful in creating a production that encourages different interpretations (this is demonstrated by you viewing the Prince's sexuality differently to how Roberts did). He has therefore made his ballet accessible to a wider audience, as it's key themes can be understood on various levels.
Out of interest, do you think that male dancers portray the character of a swan as effectively as female dancers do?
Hmmm, that's a very good question and I forgot to answer it last time I saw your message. I think that both Male and Female can portray aspects of a swan very well. The women in particular show the elegance, the way they drift across the water effortlessly and their gracefulness in flight, and the men in particular display the amazing power and sturdyness of the swan. That is not to say however that the men are not graceful, and the women not strong.... you certainly aren't weak if you dance on pointe for two hours like they do! But if I did have to choose then I probably slightly prefer the women, it could just be because that came first, but I think they have a slight advantage as they are able to be lifted creating the image of flying and although in Bourne's adaptation the men do some pas de deux I have never found two men dancing together quite as aestheticly pleasing to watch. Difficult choice though!
ReplyDelete