Sunday, 22 November 2009

Writing Styles 1: First Draft

As Tchaikovsky’s familiar score fills the auditorium, a solitary figure emerges from the mist onto stage. The scene is lit by a single street lamp and the glare of a full moon, which hovers ominously in the sky. Barely visible are the silhouettes of two trees, which are far greater in stature than the Prince standing alone before them.

Seemingly lost in thought, he places his long black coat over a wooden bench and wanders upstage. The gap between the trees indicates that there is something beyond the audience’s perspective, something to which the Prince is being drawn. As the rich sound of the orchestra builds, the Prince steps closer and closer to what transpires to be the edge of a moonlit lake. Without warning, a white creature darts onto stage, startling both the Prince and the audience. This is the swan that will captivate the attention, and later the heart, of the Prince.

The swan’s movements are entrancing. His arms work fluidly, evoking the grace and beauty of a bird’s wings, but his steps are so assured that we are reminded of the power behind the swan’s elegant demeanour. When the dancer leaps, his use of expansive port de bras enhances the impression of flight, and his controlled landings roll seamlessly into another leap or turn. The overall effect is of the swan gliding effortlessly across the stage, demonstrating his marvellous fusion of strength and grace. Amid these elegant movements comes the occasional abrupt, aggressive gesture, highlighting a fiercer edge to the swan’s temperament. The dancer elongates his fingers and draws them together with his thumb into a pointed, beak-like shape. When he directs his hand towards the Prince, we instantly recognise the threatening intent behind the gesture.

The dancer wears dark, streamlined eye make-up as well as a thin black head piece that sits almost on his brow, representing the distinctive markings of a swan’s head, and emphasising his authoritative gaze. The trousers he wears are white, and are compromised of many shreds of material. These ripple with every one of the dancer’s movements, depicting a coat of delicate, light feathers.

Before long, the stage is filled with a flock of swans, swirling nimbly across the stage. Their fluid movements mirror the continuous, flowing quality of the music, and their ever changing floor patterns are evocative of swans gliding through water. They ebb on and off stage in groups of three or four, giving the effect of constant movement, with each group performing fleeting, graceful sequences in unison.

The swans create a mesmerising scene. The contrast of their pure white costumes against the haunting, dark stage forms a magical atmosphere, as the audience cannot ignore their hypnotic, swirling patterns. Together with the Prince, we are transported into these creature's world, and overwhelmed by their sheer elegance and supremacy.

3 comments:

  1. Without a doubt this is your descriptive piece of writing. You have really captured the moment and completely taken me there.
    I love that you have set the stage and the mood so that i can fully picture whats happening before the swan appears.
    I think that although 500 words is alot to read especially when trying to keep the reader engaged i think you have done this well. I am really interested to hear about what you think of mine as i think yours is what really hits the nailk on the head.
    I really like your work and look forward to reading your academic piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see within the 1st sentance that this is your descriptive piece. I really enjoyed reading this piece and really want to see the production.
    You have described the scene with attention to detail making the reader feel like they are almost there.
    Looking forward to your academic piece as I have found that the more difficult of the three.
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you again for your comments. I'm relieved you both feel that I've set the scene well.
    I've just finished my academic piece and I must say that of the three written styles I found the descriptive writing the hardest! I had anticipated this to be the easiest of the three (hence why I began with it) but I felt quite overwhelmed by just how much there was to describe in a thirty minute dance exerpt! Eventually, I made myself stick to the key pieces of information, rather than getting carried away describing everything in great detail.
    I've just posted my academic piece, and would be interested in your thoughts on that. Please let me know of anything I should consider altering.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete